You are invited...
Into one of the iconic settings of the Clan Chronicles: the infamous interstellar shopping extravaganza of the Trade Pact known as Plexis Supermarket! A market and meeting place, Plexis is where pirates rub shoulders with freighter crews, where the rich come to party and those out-of-luck chased that last opportunity, where anything and be bought or sold and onlly your airtag tells the truth. Most of the time.
Dock your starship, pay your parking fee, and enter. You'll never know what you'll find.
Or who you'll meet. Because, for the first time, I'm opening the airlocks to you, my fellow scribes and lovers of all things Trade Pact.
Tales from Plexis
will be an anthology of original stories, to be published by DAW Books in gorgeous trade paperback, using my setting and the memorable characters we both love, written by you!
The Important Things:
- You may use any character from the Trade Pact with the exception of Sira, Morgan, Aryl, and Enris. (Sira and Morgan can appear as walk-throughs in the background or briefly interact with your characters. They cannot be part of the main plot.)
- You may use any setting, alien, and piece of technology from the Trade Pact you wish, but the events in your story must take place in the Trade Pact, and happen in time between the opening of Plexis and when Morgan first meets Sira on Auord.
- Your story must be set at least partly on Plexis, and involve that setting in an important manner. (Hint: Don't forget, being a travelling space station, it gets around.)
- Legalities: Permission for use of my copyright material from the Trade Pact and Clan Chronicles applies specifically and exclusively to stories written for this anthology, and I do not relinquish any of my ownership or rights. Authors of stories selected for publication will be asked to sign an agreement that includes a clause acknowledging this. If you wish to read this agreement before you write, email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask me.
- Payment: 7 cents US per word on acceptance.
What to do:
- Submit a very short proposal to email@example.com. Not a synopsis, just a few words to let me know the character(s) you'd like to write about and any particular setting or event you want to include. This is for your benefit. I'm hoping for variety. If I receive a plethora of proposals about, oh, that hunk of a Carasian?, or everyone wants to set their story on Ret 7, I'll suggest you choose another idea, because I'll only buy one. You don't have to switch, of course, but it could improve your chances.
- Email your finished story to firstname.lastname@example.org during the submission window. The Resources page has the technical stuff about format etc.
What am I looking for?
- Stories that enrich the background of existing characters, especially minor ones. (Yes, that means if someone has a quirk or bit of history you especially like or wondered about, go for it!)
- Stories that touch on major events in the main characters' lives from other viewpoints, but are not literal retellings. (We hates those.) Someone's late? Where were they? What else was going on? That sort of thing.
- Cool expansions on stuff, such as settings and aliens, that were only mentioned in passing in the books.
In short, stories to deepen the pleasure of the Trade Pact for its fans, which includes me.
As for type of story, funny or grim? You know the series. It has elements of both, along with wonder, romance, and, yes, scary bits. What I want are the stories you want to tell, with their own special impact and heart.
No fantasy (supernatural or magic).
Science fiction only.
Who may submit a story?
You! I do have a few AMAZING authors whose names will make you quiver already hard at work, but there's room for more. Never written or sold a short story before? This could be your chance. I'll hold two story slots for new, never before published writers.
- Tales from Plexis is an anthology of stories by fans, for fans. If you aren't already familiar with the source material, please read A Thousand Words for Stranger before you decide to try this. If you love it, join in! If not, this isn't the anthology for you. Catch you next time.
Dig into *your* fannish heart,
ignore your doubts,
and set course for Plexis!